By this time several other people had expressed an interest in acquiring the castings, so I now needed to be able to produce more than the one cast I had originally intended.
Using the elements already built, moulds were made for the hull and superstructure, but the funnel caused a bit of head scratching. It was too deep to for my usual crude method of pouring resin in and leaving a base plate to be sanded off, so I decided to try a two part mould with channels down which the resin would be injected. The halves could be separated to get the cast out easily and then there would just be the pouring channels to remove. After several attempts it became obvious that I could not get even large air bubbles out and the unsatisfactory result can be seen, so another mould was made. This time the mould made vertically and was split around the level where the funnel fitted over the superstructure. The idea was to fill the lower part of the mould with resin and then when any bubbles had been chased out add the upper half of the mould. When the lower part had cured, more resin was added to the upper half and the mould squeezed to dislodge air bubbles. This worked much better although I only managed to get two casts out without any tiny bubbles.
The other parts all came out of the moulds much easier than I had anticipated, but air bubbles tended to get trapped in the numerous undercuts so it took quite a bit of wasted resin to find out where all these were and chase the bubbles out by massaging the moulds and using a cocktail stick to dislodge them.