Much of the superstructure and some details have now been attached and I judged it time to check that all the joints were properly filled by spraying a coat of primer. When that was all sorted then deck and camouflage scheme needed to be painted otherwise some bits would become inaccessible as details are added. The camouflage pattern was drawn on with pencil and all the painting was done by hand. Akan paints were used for the green deck and red lower hull. Vallejo 108 Light Sea Grey was used as the base camouflage colour overlaid with Vallejo 158 Medium Sea Grey and Lifecolor Black. It also means that many of the decals can be added which will not be possible at a later stage. The decals are tiny and, as is usually the case, the white ones are very difficult to distinguish against the pale blue backing. The other thing is that the carrier film is continuous, so trimming the decals accurately is important. I found the best way was to cut the item larger than needed then wet the decals just prior to fitting which shows the white bits up more clearly, and quickly trim them with scissors while they are held in tweezers just before applying them.
The markings on the deck around the gun mount should consist of white lettering between very narrow white lines. The decal sheet only has the lettering block, but not the lines. I thought of using some generic white stripes to remedy the situation, but could not find anything narrow enough, so I decided that as they are so thin they would not show very much at 1/700 and I would do without them. Interestingly, when I checked the 1/350 sheet, the lines are included. Then I heard that AJM are having a corrected sheet printed, so I decided to wait for that, which means that the build is on hold until the corrections become available.
The pictures show shiny patches where different types of paint have been used (a mixture of Akan and Vallejo) and Klear has been used to settle the decals, but hopefully this will be cured later on with a coat of matt varnish.