Now the hull has been sprayed and the decks painted, the next job is the white waterline. It should really have been done by painting it white and then masking off before spraying the dark blue on the hull as painting white over dark blue is not easy to get good coverage– hindsight is a wonderful thing. To try and overcome my stupidity I decided to try applying white decal strip instead. This is not straight forward as the level of the demarcation line changes near the bow, and the peculiar hull shape at the bow and stern adds to the difficulties; it also means I have to open up the water spray holes once the decal film has hardened.
My misgivings were well founded as the hull shape made the application of the decal film tricky in places, especially as it turned out to be particularly fragile. Where pieces of decal film overlapped, the white was more intense, so the only option was to overpaint the decal film to even things up a bit. One advantage of using decal stripes is that you can get a very sharp dividing line between the colours, but ironically, when it was all done it actually looked too sharp! Looking at photos, the white waterline appears to be a coating which becomes eroded at the edges showing hull colour underneath, so with my finest brush and some more Prussian blue I tried to replicate this effect.
When it was all done it looked better than I had feared, but I still wish I had thought to go with the masking option. Adding the windows to the superstructure broke up the slab-sided appearance of that large block and cheered me up a bit.