Having corrected a couple of flaws with Mr Surfacer 500 and sprayed the superstructure elements with white primer, a bit of a delay occurred. I do paint spraying in the garage to avoid domestic disharmony, and when the weather turned frosty, rather than risk paint drying problems, I waited for things to warm up a bit.
A brief window of opportunity then allowed me to get some paint on the superstructure. The rear half of the funnel, which should remain white, was masked off. Vallejo Beige 008 was the colour selected for the superstructure elements and was airbrushed on. The windows on the wheelhouse were painted with Vallejo Dark Sea Blue and the deck hand brushed in Vallejo Flat Green. When it came to the orange stripe I opted to use some orange decal strip on a generic sheet from Model Art. The idea was that this would ensure an even stripe without having to mask off around lots of angles with the risk of the paint bleeding under the tape where there were joins. This worked well on the longer runs, but when it came to the angles there were just as many problems as if the masking option had been chosen!
I have made a decal sheet using the inkjet paper from Bare Metal Foil with various styles of windows. The appropriate size and spacing was chosen to make the windows on the bridge structure. This works quite well, but I have never been able to seal the decals well enough to make them completely impervious to colour bleeding. Fortunately I have discovered that literally dipping them into water and instantly removing them reduces this risk, but there is still the danger they will smudge when being moved on the model, or worse still, when spraying on a coat of matt varnish after everything is complete. I keep meaning to try with home printed decals on a photocopier or laser printer, but have never got round to it.
The main superstructure was masked off ready for the hull to be airbrushed with Vallejo Dark Prussian Blue.