Back to the model now.
A platform has been added under the wheelhouse to provide the narrow walkway. The railings around all those angles should provide plenty of entertainment/gnashing of teeth in the future.
The wheelhouse now sits on top of the rest of the bridge structure and the funnel can be added. However, when I compared the funnel to the plan it seems I had not got the height quite right so pieces of 30 thou sheet have been added to correct the error. Then support brackets needed to be added under the overhangs.
Next job is the forward extension of the funnel above the wheelhouse. I had omitted this when making the masters for casting as it would have added another complication to an already difficult item. In view of the casting difficulties I am glad it was left off.
This is not an easy shape to replicate, not helped by the fact that interpreting the plans with the aid of photos is problematic because a) this area is seldom photographed close-up and b) many of the tricky angled parts are painted black which makes it difficult to discern the edges.
This meant I was not 100% sure of the shape I was aiming for, but I decided to start carving it from solid and see how it evolved.
The basic width and length for the solid block were achieved by laminating different thicknesses of styrene strip until the right dimensions were reached. The plan view was then marked on one end and the blank carved to shape. The profile was cut checking with templates for front and rear made from the drawings. Finally the front view was cut to shape. The result was not as sharp as I would have liked, so another attempt was made.
This time a built-up approach was used and the shape slightly simplified. The main elements were made from styrene strip and the awkward sloping panels made by adding and shaping Milliput. The result was much better looking and will now go to make another mould as I am feeling sorry for those who have acquired the castings, being left with one of the trickiest bits to scratch build.
The forest of exhaust tubes above the funnel was next. Four large and six small holes were drilled for them. The larger exhausts were made from pieces of styrene rod which were held in a pin vice for the ends to be drilled out before being fitted, mainly because I did not have any brass tube of the right diameter. The smaller pipes were made from 0.6mm brass tube. I don’t have a tube cutter, but find that holding the tube in a pin vice, and rolling it with an old scalpel blade to score around the circumference works very well with thin brass.
Last jobs on this element are small platforms just below the wheelhouse and platforms on the port side of the funnel which will be the landings for the staircase (just on that side).