Holes for the water spray system have been drilled in the bows. What appear to be guide rollers for towing hawsers at the stern were made from styrene rod and pieces of sheet.
Ventilation grilles made from mesh adapted from L’Arsenal and Gold Medal photo etch have been fitted to the superstructure. Once primed and checked for defects, the main superstructure block has been added. Now the final bulwarks on the forecastle deck can be fitted and a support pillar put in place for the overhanging corner of the helicopter deck. The area where the bridge structure is to be added has been masked off so that the styrene cement can do its job without primer getting in the way.
All ready to prime now and find out what needs to be corrected. The bridge structure has yet to be glued in place but has been placed loosely in position to check that it is beginning to look like the ship.
Just before priming, and after taking the photos, I realised that I had not made the fenders around the stern. My first thought was to use Milliput rolled into a sausage shape. However, looking at photos of the stern, the segmented appearance of the fenders suggested they could be replicated the same way by using 30 thou. styrene rod, cut halfway through with a fine razor saw at intervals which would help it to conform to the curves, so that is what I went with.